2015 State Team

Western Australia 2 WA Amateurs 0

Status: Friendly
Date: 15 October 2015
Venue: Dorrien Gardens, Perth, Western Australia
Western Australia: Alex Dunn, Declan Hargreaves, Hanafi Ghazali, Trent Kay, Steve Purton, Borbor Sam Bindi, James Sammut, Gustavo Giron-Marulanda, Teeboy Kamara, Nick Ambrogio, David Sesay, Ryan Mongtomery, Shane Pickering, Nathan Diaz, Josh Booysen, Harry O’Brien, David Heagney
WA Amateurs: Kevin Flavin, David Martins, Daniel Dyson, Matt Bennion, Jeremy Bill, Steve Geoghegan, Ago Mujic, Eamon Kelly, Juan Cabrera, Nick Tatasciore, Gavin Knight, Greg Montenegro, Ian Cleary, Declan Peters, Dave Morris, Dave Prescott
Bookings: None
Dismissals: None

Referee: Steven Gregory

An experimental Western Australian side scored a 2-0 win over the State Amateurs in this evenings’ friendly at under lights at Dorrien Gardens. Gustavo Giron-Marulanda put the National Premier Leagues’ representative team ahead midway through the second half with his Bayswater City teammate Trent Kay doubling the difference soon after the interval.

State team debutant Purton was pleased with how the game panned out. “It was my first call up for the State team, so I was very happy for our team to get the win and to be part of the match,” he said. “We had a lot of possession and the amateurs were very well structured and hard to breakdown. But we knew we had to be patient and be well-organised at the back. We created many opportunities which we were unable to capitalise on.”

Nick Ambrogio threatened to give the State an early lead when his shot on the turn flashed wide. Purton was next to fire a shot anger but his effort was also past the target. The State team made their possession count on 29 minutes when Giron-Marulanda lashed in after Ambrogio’s close-range effort was blocked by a defender. The Amateurs showed glimpses of their potential late in the half but struggled to construct any meaningful attempts on goal.

The Amateurs opened the second half brightly, Nick Tatasciore volleying wide just four minutes. Soon after Borbor Sam Bindi rounded goalkeeper Kevin Flavin but with the goal at his mercy the State attacker blazed high and wide. Kay showed him how its’ done in the 56th minute by drilling the ball in following a Giron-Marulanda free-kick into the penalty area.

Western Australia 0 Perth Glory 1

Status: Friendly
Date: 19 August 2015
Venue: Dorrien Gardens, Perth, Western Australia
Western Australia: James Morgan (Francis Soale 46), Devon Gibson (James Sammut 65), Trent Kay, Sam Mitchinson, Clark Keltie, Ludovic Boi (Teeboy Kamara 65), Gustavo Marulanda (Rory Patterson 65), David Micevski (Reece Vittiglia 46), David Heagney (Bor Bor Sam 46), Aryn Williams, Dean Evans (Mark Pritchard 65)
Perth Glory: Nick Feely, Marc Warren (Nathan Costello 46), Antony Golec (Gian Albano 46), Dino Djulbic (Ali Gholami 46), Michael Thwaite (Mitchell Oxborrow 46), Gyorgy Sandor (Hagi Gligor 46), Nebojsa Marinkovic (Calvin Whitney 46), Richard Garcia (Slobodan Vulin 46), Diogo Ferreira (Jacob Collard 34 (Ross Millard 65)), Chris Harold (Nick Talimdzioski 46), Sidnei Sciola (Stefan Valentini 34 (Dejan Spasevski 72))
Bookings: Soale (58)
Dismissals: None

Nebojsa Marinkovic scored the only goal of the game as West Australia lost 1-0 to Perth Glory in the Call to Arms Cup at Dorrien Gardens tonight. Glory goalkeeper Nick Feely saved Clark Keltie’s penalty before Teeboy Kamara rattled the crossbar as the State sought a second half equaliser. The annual fixture, played between a selection of National Premier Leagues players and Glory as part of their pre-season preparations, is contested in aid of the Cancer Council of WA.

State Cris Ola felt his players provided a good test for Glory and he hoped there would be more opportunities to put together a representative team. “We matched them reasonably well in the first half and I was happy to control the game and create a number of chances in the second half,” he said. “There is plenty of quality out there. All the players did well to step up to that level and they’re happy to represent the State if there is any other opportunities.”

Glory came close to taking the lead in the early stages as Dino Djulbic headed over a corner, before Marc Warren’s cross nearly caught out James Morgan, who kept the ball out. The State’s first moment came in the 10th minute when Ludovic Boi’s dangerous cross narrowly evaded David Heagney and Gustavo Giron Marulanda. The latter then let fly from distance with a powerful effort which was gathered by Feely at the second attempt.

It was the A-League side that took the lead on 27 minutes, though, as Marinkovic intercepted Trent Kay’s wayward pass and slid the ball past the goalkeeper. Glory could have led 2-0 heading into half-time as Sidnei Sciola poked over from close-range before Morgan did well to block young substitute Stefan Valentini’s header. Wholesale changes were made by the Glory at the break, with nine of the club’s youth team taking to the field.

Marulanda came close again at the start of the second half as his free-kick deflected just wide of the target. The State should have drawn level on 68 minutes when substitute James Sammut was fouled in the area, but Feely saved well to his right to deny Keltie from the spot. Keltie headed over from 5-metres after meeting Mark Pritchard’s cross, and with five minutes to go Kamara found the woodwork.

Back to the www.footballwa.net State Team Index

This page was last updated on the 18th August, 2016