2014 State Team

Western Australia 2 Perth Glory 1

Status: Friendly
Date: 3 August 2014
Venue: Dalmatinac Park, Perth, Western Australia
Western Australia: Curtis Aspden (Devon Spence 46), Devon Gibson, Sam Mitchinson (Jack Allen 66), Adam Tong (Bobby Wilson 62), Clark Keltie (Alex Randall 66), Dean Evans (Danny Dixon 66), Lewis McMahon (Carlo Coelho 55), Mark Doninger (Andrija Jukic 55), Teeboy Kamara (Ludovic Boi 46), Todd Howarth (Lawrence Shurama 55), Chris Saldaris (Alec Solomons 62) Perth Glory: Jack Duncan, Jack Clisby, Scott Jamieson, Brandon O’Neill (Dino Djulbic 46), Michael Thwaite (Josh Risdon 46), Youssouf Hersi (Sidnei Sciola 46), Daniel De Silva (Nebosja Marinkovic 46), Cameron Edwards (Richard Garcia 46), Harry O’Brien (Mitch Nichols 46), Chris Harold (Diogo Ferriera 46), Jamie Maclaren (Andy Keogh 46) Bookings: None Dismissals: None
Referee: Adam Fielding

A hastily put together State team defied the odds to register an impressive 2-1 win over Perth Glory from this evening’s friendly at Dalmatinac Park. The State team gave as good as they got in the first half before stepping on the accelerator after the turnaround with Alec Solomons and Ludovic Boi finding the back of the net. Sidnei Sciola pulled a goal back for Glory but it wasn’t enough to prevent the State team from recording the win.

State coach Chris Coyne was understandably delighted at guiding the State team to victory over Glory for the first time since 2008 . “We’ve only had three sessions together, and I thought they went about their business pretty well, and they are a credit to themselves,” he said. “The effort they put in and the way they applied themselves was first class, and sometimes when you work hard you get the rewards and the whole squad did that tonight.”

Chris Harold found himself on the pointy end of Glory’s early attacks, the young striker placing one shot wide and having another saved by Curtis Aspden. The State team eventually got into gear but Mark Doninger’s goalbound strike was blocked by Jack Duncan, and Lewis McMahon flashed wide the follow-up. Duncan came to the rescue again soon after, getting down low to halt Clark Keltie’s volley from 15-metres.

As the half progressed the momentum began to swing back in Glory’s favour. Daniel De Silva eased his way past a couple of defenders to find Jamie Maclaren, whose neat lob dropped onto the top netting. Jack Clisby pushed forward to unleash a long-range effort which whistled just past the target. And in stoppage time Harry O’Brien raced into the penalty area only for his low finish to be captured by Aspden.

Glory boss Kenny Lowe made wholesale changes at the break with Duncan, Clisby and Jamieson the only players to return for the second half. Doninger was denied the breakthrough goal by Duncan and, a few minutes later and at the other end, substitute Devon Spence thwarted Nebosja Marinkovic. Andy Keogh should have broken the deadlock on the hour but his low shot smack off the base of the post after racing clear of a static defence.

Wide pair Sciola and Josh Risdon continually drove a now dominant Glory side into attack. So it was against the run of play that the State went ahead on 71 minutes, Lawrence Shurama clipping the far post where Solomons crisply volleyed in. Dino Djulbic rattled the crossbar as Glory sought a quick reply. Richard Garcia appeared to have equalised only for his effort to be ruled out by an offside flag.

The State team doubled their lead on 84 minutes, Danny Dixon making space on the left before teeing up Boi who made no mistake. Risdon streamed down the left straight from the restart and cross the far post where Sciola’s powerful close-range header came to rest in Spence’s net. Glory threw everything into conjuring an equaliser but Spence had no intention of being beaten a second time, the ‘keeper moving sharply to keep out Keogh’s late header.

Back to the www.footballwa.net State Team Index

This page was last updated on the 6th November, 2014