2013 State Team

Western Australia 1 Perth Glory 3

Status: Friendly
Date: 21 August 2013
Venue: Intiga Stadium, Perth, Western Australia
Western Australia: Curtis Aspden (Nick Feely 46), Adam Tong, Euen Grant, Clarke Keltie (Blamo QuaQua 78), Gavin Knight (Steve Howson 52), Ryan Pearson (Ali Gholami 81), Ludovic Boi, Kris Gate (David Price 55), Paul Lloyd (Bor Bor Sambindi 78), Conor Kavanagh (Eamon McNelis 52), Ashley Corker (Mike Aspin 27)
Perth Glory: Danny Vukovic (Jack Duncan 46), Brandon O'Neill (Michael Thwaite 46), Steve Pantelidis (Ljubo Milicevic 46), Josh Risdon, Scott Jamieson (Jack Clisby 46), Jacob Burns (Cameron Edwards 46), Steven McGarry, Ryan Edwards (Daniel De Silva 60), Ryo Nagai, Chris Harold (Adrian Zahra 46), Jamie Maclaren (Ndumba Makeche 46)
Bookings: Grant (50), Edwards (61)
Dismissals: None
Referee: David Bruce

A sublime piece of individual skill by teenage sensation Daniel De Silva was the highlight of Perth Glory’s 3-1 defeat of Western Australian in this evening’s ‘Call to Arms Cup’ at Intiga Stadium. De Silva, 16, had the big crowd on their feet close to the final whistle after flicking the ball over one defender and rounded another before lashing in from 18-metres. “De Silva, what a player, tomorrow morning I’ll be at work and he will be doing his maths homework,” commented striker Gavin Knight, who put the State team ahead after only a few minutes. “It was a privilege to play against Glory, we matched them for a while but fitness showed in the end.”

The State team could not have dreamt of a better start, Ludovic Boi pouncing on a defensive lapse and threading the ball forward for Knight to deftly chip goalkeeper Danny Vukovic from 16-metres. This clearly was not part of Glory’s plan and they responded by upping the tempo with Ryan Edwards and Ryo Nagai providing plenty of pace out wide. Defender Steve Pantelidis sent his header past the post on the quarter hour before Ryan Edwards’ long-range shot brought State custodian Curtis Aspden into action for the first time. Half-time was on the horizon when Conor Kavanagh released Knight whose shot from the edge of the 18-yard box forced a sharp save from Vukovic.

Glory coach Alistair Edwards rang in the changes at half-time and five minutes later Steve McGarry struck the equaliser from the penalty spot following a dubious handball decision against Adam Tong. The pace now quickened with chances coming the way of both sides. Josh Risdon’s effort from 17-metres was taken by Nick Feely, while a long-range strike by State captain Clarke Keltie flashed wide. There seemed little danger when Makeche centred for De Silva with six minutes to go, however, the teenager showed his quality with a stylish goal that brought the 2,000-strong crowd to its feet. The sealed arrived shortly after with Makeche netting at close-range from a Cameron Edwards’ corner which went to feet.

Back to the www.footballwa.net State Team Index

This page was last updated on the 13th September 2012