2008 State Team

Western Australia 3 Perth Glory 2

Status: Friendly
Date: 19 June 2008
Venue: Litis Stadium, Perth, Western Australia
Western Australia: Neil Young, Jeff Bright, Keith Brown, Andy Brown, Scott Bulloch, John Migas, Dean Evans, Marc Anthony, Johnny Mirco (Paul Harvey 58), Andrija Jukic, Ian McMurray
Perth Glory: Aleks Vrteski, Dino Djulbic, Mark Lee, David Tarka (Brent Griffiths 52), Hayden Foxe, Josip Magdic, James Downey, James Robinson, Jamie Coyne (Adriano Pellegrino 30), Eugene Dadi, Jamie Harnwell (Anthony Skorich 45)
Bookings: Bright (35), Robinson (89)
Dismissals: None
Referee: Stephen Gregory

The West Australian State team scored a historic 3-2 victory against Perth Glory last night at Litis Stadium. Two goals from Scott Bulloch and a single by Andrija Jukic earned the State team their first win against Glory since their inaugural meeting in 1998. "The boys played really well tonight, they were really disciplined and we scored some great goals," State coach Robbie Dunn said after the game. "Scotty Bulloch did a great job tonight at both ends of the pitch. He scored two goals but near the end went back for us when Jeff Bright got injured, he's a good player and the Glory should do well to watch him." Triallists Anthony Skorich and Brent Griffiths did their chances of landing a Glory deal no harm by netting for the A-League outfit.

Glory looked dangerous early with Eugene Dadi foiled by quick-thinking goalkeeper Neil Young, and Jamie Coyne's strike from 18-metres crashed into the upright. The State team threatened for the first time through Jukic who fired into the side-netting on the quarter hour, and minutes later the same player volleyed narrowly wide from Hayden Foxe's partial clearance. The opener came after 25 minutes when a Marc Anthony free-kick was nodded back across goal by Ian McMurray to Bulloch who was well positioned to head in at close-range. Glory should have drawn level three minutes from the break after fine work on the right by Dino Djulbic but Dadi's shot was blocked and Jamie Harnwell sent the follow-up wide.

The second half began much like the first with Magdic shooting high and Skorich heading straight at the 'keeper. The paid off came on 54 minutes when Adrian Pellegrino supplied a cross from the right which was tapped in by Skorich from a few metres. Aleks Vrteski, making a guest appearance between the posts for Glory, was at his best in denying Jukic with a long-range attempt. Next it was Paul Harvey's shot that Vrteski pushed around the post as the State side sought to regain the lead. But there was little the 'keeper could do on 65 minutes when Jeff Bright threaded a pass to Bulloch whose first time shot from the edge of the 18-yard box and soared into the net.

Bulloch turned provider shortly after for Harvey who shot too close to Vrteski. A deflected Skorich shot earned Glory a corner after 73 minutes, James Robinson swung the ball in for Griffiths to rise and head in the equaliser. The crowd were on their feet again within sixty seconds as Anthony's pass was flicked on by McMurray for Jukic who fended off Foxe before clipping over the advancing 'keeper to make it three-two. Glory suffered a setback when Dadi limped off injured, but Pellegrino showed there was still plenty of life left in the side by forcing a fine save from Young. McMurray should have made the game safe when found unmarked at a Jukic corner but Vrteski was alert to save.

East Java All-Province Under-23 2 Western Australia 0

Status: Friendly
Date: 25 June 2008
Venue: Gelora Deltras Sidoargo Stadium, Surabaya, Indonesia
East Java All-Province Under-23 (squad): Heri Prasetyo, Wahyu Gunawan, Beny Wahyudi, Munhar, Ari Noviga, Juan Revi, Andik Vermansyah, Rendi Irwan, Dede Hugo, Hendro Siswanto, Harmoko, Juni Irawan, Sunaji, Roni Nurdiansyah, Saikhu, Feri Ariawan, Yandri Nirahua, Jaya Teguh Angga, Andul Rochim, Agung Dwi
Western Australia: Neil Young, Dean Evans, Keith Brown, John Migas, Jeff Bright, Marc Anthony (Garin Colins), Andy Brown, Scott bulloch, Andrija Jukic (Tommy Amphlett), Johny Mirco (Paul Harvey), Ian McMurray
Dismissals: None
Referee: Aji Santoso

Western Australia’s first foray overseas in thirteen years ended in disappointment as East Java All-Province Under-23's won the inaugural Friendship Cup 2-0 this evening at Gelora Deltras Sidoargo Stadium in Surabaya, Indonesia. The State side battled hard in stifling humidity only to fall behind to superb second half strike from Wahyu Gunawan with Jaya Teguh Angga sealing victory with the last passage of the night. "Obviously it was very disappointing to lose, but I am sure that the boys will learn from the experience," commented coach Robbie Dunn after the game. "Tonight we only started to play the way I knew we could after we conceded, and in the heat it was always going to make it difficult to get back in the game."

The first half was memorable only for its' lack of highlights as the two teams wrestled for control. Goalkeeper Neil Young was quick off his line in the 18th minute to rob Dede Hugo as he attempted to be first to a long ball. The offside trap was beaten again four minutes later when Rendi Irwan went one on one with Young who battered away the shot and John Migas put the loose ball out for a corner. WA's first opening came shortly after through Andy Brown who drove into the 18-yard box only to be thwarted by quick thinking goalkeeper Heri Prasetyo. Half-time was only minutes away when Ian McMurray headed over the crossbar after a good exchange on the left between Johnny Mirco and Scott Bulloch.

A rash of substitutions at the start of the second half had the desired effect for East Java as in quick succession Munhar forced a near post save from Young and captain Juan Revi fired high. The deadlock was broken in the 58th minute when Gunawan curled a superb free-kick over the defensive wall and into the top corner, giving Young no chance. WA worked hard to get back on level terms as McMurray fired across the face of goal, and Andy Brown sent a free header wide from 6-metres. Andy Brown turned provider in the 89th minute with a terrific cross in behind the defence which substitute Paul Harvey narrowly failed to connect with. East Java counterattacked through Feri Ariawan who lured Young off his line before slipping the ball to a suspiciously offside looking Angga who tapped in at close-range.

South Australia 3 Western Australia 0

Status: Stratco Cup
Date: 11 October 2008
Venue: Marden Sports Complex, Adelaide, South Australia
South Australia: Ben Moore (Daniel Godley 68), Richie Alagich, Kristian Rees, Michael D’Aloisio, Ivan Karlovic, Aaron Goulding (Kim Stavrides 68), Simon Catanzaro (Michael Lastella 81), Chad Bugeja (Mimi Saric 73), Fred Aguis, Scott Tunbridge
Western Australia: Neil Young (Gareth Deeg 79), Danny Cain, Ante Kovacevic, Shaun Kilkelly (Daryl Platten 71), Jeff Bright, John Migas (Craig Young 67), Andy Brown, Marc Anthony, David Micevski (Ian McMurray 45), Antonio Naglieri, Phil O’Callaghan (Brad Scott 67)
Bookings: Aguis (76), Brown (86)
Dismissals: None
Referee: Regis Queffelc

South Australia claimed the inaugural Stratco Cup with a 3-0 victory over Western Australia at the Marden Sports Complex. Fred Agius was inspirational for the hosts, setting up two goals and scoring the third, but it was Western Australia’s Marc Anthony who earned the man of the match award for a tireless performance in the centre of the park. Andy Brown caused no end of problems for the South Australian defence as the visitors hit the ground running. Kristian Rees prevented the west from taking an early lead by intercepting a Brown cross intended for David Micevski, who was free inside the 18-yard box.

South Australia grabbed the lead against the run of play when Agius turned the ball over in midfield and found Chad Bugeja free who slotted calmly past Neil Young after 19 minutes. It was almost two-nil as Agius crashed the ball against the crossbar after again weaving his magic to open up the defence. A low cross from the right by Brown provided a chance for Jeff Bright who was unable to keep his header down but after nipping in front of goalkeeper Ben Moore. The margin was increased on 36 minutes when poor marking at Agius’ corner allowed an unchallenged Ivan Karlovic header to beat Young.

Agius put the icing was put on the cake by cleverly flicking the ball over Young to all but secure a home win thirteen minutes after the break. Anthony worked hard to create openings for the visitors in the second half but genuine opportunities on goal were few and far between. With the temperate hovering around 30 degrees, both coaches made use of their full complement of substitutes. West Australia’s best chances came late when substitute Brad Scott tamed Ian McMurray’s flick but with only Moore to beat the striker sliced disappointingly wide.

Back to the www.footballwa.net State Team Index

This page was last updated on the 1st December, 2012