1939 State Team

Western Australia 4 Palestine 4

Status: Friendly
Date: 26 August 1939
Venue: Subiaco Oval, Subiaco
Western Australia: E.Dean, Tich Martin, Jock Henderson, M.Charlton, Jack Walmsley, K.Lynch, R.Hertz, Jack Conduit, William Waddell, S.Smith, Dave Birnie
Palestine: B.Mizrahi, A.Resnik, A.Beth-Halevy, S.Shuleson, Z.Fooks, M.Menahem, S.Alembik, L.Werner, F.Neufeld, G.Machlis, A.Shnaiderovich

Western Australia played out a seesawing 4-4 draw with visiting Palestinian team Maccabi Tel-Aviv, whose stopover in Perth brought to an end their Australia tour of 1939. At the end of 45 minutes it was the State who had the ascendancy with goals from William Waddell, Jack Conduit and S.Smith outweighing those of L.Werner and S.Alembik. The game swung in the visitors favour with G.Machlis netting twice early in the second period after which Conduit grabbed his second of the afternoon to see the teams finish level.

Maccabi, who were billed as ‘Palestine’ throughout their time in Australia, played 17 games prior to heading to Perth for ten wins, two draw and five losses. Amongst those were a five-game series with Australia that saw the host nation claim victory three times with one game drawn and the other won by Palestine. Tour manager R.S.Arazi rated the trip a success even though illness and injury had not been kind to the visitors, “Frequently eleven players had to be fielded who were not in the best of condition while (against Australia) injury in the opening passages of play necessitating the team playing one man short on two occasions.” (1)

Palestine took the ball into attack immediately from the kick-off but State custodian E.Dean came to the rescue with a booming clearance. That kick was collected by Dave Birnie, he slipped a pass to Waddell, who got past A.Resnik and flicked the ball over advancing goalkeeper B.Mizrahi to put Western Australia into a surprise lead. The visiting players took some time to recover from this setback but when they did they hit back with venom, Dean saving a succession of shots from Werner, Alembik and A.Shnaiderovich.

Against the run of play Western Australia doubled their lead, R.Hertz luring the ‘keeper off his line before centring for Jack Conduit to tuck into the net. After several further attempts on goal, Palestine finally reduced the deficit when Werner beat Jock Henderson and from 9-metres shot past Dean. S.Smith returned fire with a low strike that slipped through Mizrahi’s fingers and rolled into the visitors net. The difference was brought back to a single goal in the shadows of half-time, F.Neufeld driving into the top corner after Alembik’s advances was halted by Hnderson.

For the second half Palestine had the benefit of the breeze and two goals from Machlis in the space of three minutes turned the game on its head. The teams were brought level when Machlis’ scrambled the ball over the line, and soon after the attacker’s powerful strike from 13-metres was too good for Dean. Palestine were unlucky not to find the net on a few more occasions, notably when Alembik’s cross found Shnaiderovich whose header was blocked by Dean with Tich Martin clearing down field.

A forward move initiated by K.Lynch result in a equalising goal for the State, Walmsley transferring play to Hertz who ran forward before swinging a cross in the direction of Conduit who beat Mizrahi. Although the end was nearing, the tempo quickened as both teams sought to add to their goal tally. Palestine crated the better exchanges but Martin and Henderson stood firm to repel the attacks time and time again. Western Australia’s forays into attack were met with similar resistance and with neither team able to break through the game finished four-four.

Western Australia 3 Palestine 7

Status: Friendly
Date: 28 August 1939
Venue: Subiaco Oval, Subiaco
Western Australia: J.Young, J.Thompson, Jock Henderson, Tich Martin, Jack Smethurst, K.Lynch, R.Hertz, Jack Conduit, William Waddell, S.Smith, Dave Birnie
Palestine: J.Sidi, A.Resnik, A.Beth-Halevy, S.Shuleson, Z.Fooks, Weiner, S.Alembik, L.Werner, M.Greenburg, G.Machlis, A.Shnaiderovich

Palestine totally out-classed Western Australia to the tune of 7-3 in the second meeting of the teams in three days at Subiaco Oval. A first half brace from M.Greenburg sent the visitors into the break with a handy buffer but it was in the second half that they ran away with the game, Greenburg taking his personal tally to three, A.Shnaiderovich netting twice and Z.Fooks and Weiner getting one apiece.

Palestine asserted themselves from early on, dominating possession through crisp passing and well-timed runs into the attacking third. Goalkeeper J.Young twice saved at close-range what looked like being be certain goals for S.Alembik and Shnaiderovich, while Jock Henderson and J.Thompson also came to the rescue with several interceptions. Palestine, who had a strong breeze at their backs, got their first goal after 30 minutes when Greenburg found the net at the enbd of a tidy move involving Fooks and Weiner.

The State team went close to responding within minutes, Tich Martin releasing R.Hertz who made his way down the right before crossing for Jack Conduit but his header was deflected away by goalkeeper J.Sidi. Palestine increased their lead right on the stroke of half-time with Greenberg latching onto a pass out of midfield and beating the offside trap to thread his shot past and the oncoming Young, who was unlucky not to save.

Less than five minutes of the second half has been plaued when Fooks put the ball with Shnaiderovich whose shot on the run gave Young no chance. A heavy shower swept across the pitch soon after but not even that could stop the visiting team. Nice movement in midfield saw Greenburg play through for Fooks who, although in an offside position, was allowed to get away a powerful shot to make it four-nil.

Western Australia pulled a goal back a few minutes later, Hertz centring to Dave Birnie who laid the ball back for Conduit to send into the net. With this the State grew in confidence and for a period they pressured Palestine into continually conceding possession. However, the turned again in the 70th minute when Greenburg registered the visitors’ fifth goal after getting on the end of an Alembik cross.

The difference was brought back to three goals five minutes later, S.Smith and Birnie beating the opposition with William Waddell completing the move with a header. Birnie further cut the visitors lead with a powerful curling effort that Sidi captured but carried over the line. But that was to be the closest Western Australia got as in the closing minutes Shnaiderovich netted a low shot before Werner slipped another goal past an advancing ‘keeper.

Back to the www.footballwa.net State Team Index

This page was last updated on the 30th December 2012